Instagram, a media-sharing social networking and community service owned by Facebook, has become one of the most popular and preferred destinations for netizens around the world, particularly in the United States. Despite the fact that the app’s latest and most unique features allow users to express themselves in new ways, it is not without its share of bugs and glitches. Along with all of Insta’s perks, the app’s vulnerability to scammers, hackers, and bots must be taken into consideration.
Your friends may have received strange messages from you or noticed an odd photo you’ve posted to your personal feed. What’s even stranger is the possibility of being followed by someone you’ve never met before. All of these issues can be traced back to a bug in Instagram’s auto-following feature, which is frequently encountered by users. The question, “does Instagram follow accounts for you?” or, “Am I following random Instagram accounts?” has likely crossed your mind.
To be clear, this does not imply that Instagram’s security is lacking; the only thing to keep in mind is that random accounts should not be followed blindly. This post, on the other hand, will explain why this occurs and what you can do to fix it if you discover that random people are following you on Instagram.
Always wonder Why are you Following Random Accounts On Instagram?
On Instagram, you’ve probably noticed that seemingly unrelated accounts have started following you. It’s not as if you don’t know who they are. And how did they get there?
Don’t worry about yourself! Because no one has taken control of your Instagram account, you have nothing to fear. However, your account could be compromised at any time. This can happen as a result of any one of the following.
- Third-party apps might be having unauthorized access to your IG account.
- Someone may have hacked into your account and is using it to manually follow these people.
Your problem can be solved quickly and easily. You only need to follow the instructions below to get out of this unexpected situation:
To fix the problem, open your Instagram profile on a desktop/laptop or mobile browser.
The next step is to go to your profile and click the gear icon to change your settings.
Right-click Apps & Websites in the left-side menu to open the submenu. Apps and websites that you have granted access to your account will be listed here.
Then, on those you suspect, select Revoke Access by clicking or tapping on it.
It’s possible to fix the problem if an unauthorized app or website is linked to your account. Then, what happens if your account is hacked.
By changing your password, you can revoke the hacker’s access to your Instagram account if it has been compromised. In order to do so, here are the steps:
1 Access your Instagram app and log into your IG account.
2 Head into profile page section.
3 Now tap three horizontal lines known as hamburger button on top right corner to get into Settings.
4 Here look for “Security” option and tap on it.
5 Below login security, tap on “Password”.
Enter your current password in the first box, your new password in the second box, and your new password a third time in the third box to replace your old password.
Avoid using the same password on multiple social media accounts. If your account has been hacked, please change the passwords for all of your other accounts as well. Make your passwords more difficult to crack by using longer and more complex passwords. This makes your account more secure and prevents it from falling into the hands of criminals.
We also recommend you to follow security tips mentioned below for extra layer of protection.
- Never share your password with anyone.
- Don’t log into unsecure or phishing websites or apps with your instagram account username and password.
- Turn on two-factor authentication.
- Don’t reply with your username, password to any email pretending to be Instagram verification center or support, as Instagram never asks you to share your credentials in any situation.
How to turn on two-factor authentication in Instagram?
- After logging in to Instagram, visit your profile page.
- Afterwards, tap the three horizontal lines and select Settings.
- Click on Security to open a new menu.
- Select “Two-Factor Authentication” from the drop-down menu that appears.
- If you want to activate two-factor authentication, you’ll see a “Get Started” button.
- Choose from one or both of the following security levels.
- As of today, Instagram may request that you link your phone number if youhaven’t done it earlier.
- Instagram will text you a security code after you enter your phone number.
- Let’s see what happens if you put in that code.
Note:- Back-up codes are also displayed by Instagram. If you lose your phone in the future, you’ll still be able to access your account with these codes in hand.
I sincerely hope that this article has shed some light on the strange accounts that you weren’t following. Please share this article with a friend or family member who is in a similar situation. Be sure to pass this article along to your friends and colleagues via social media to help prevent others from falling victim to scams like this.